- It is an artificial reef, which creates a habitat for many types of marine life
- It often is a large structure with many interesting parts and machinery, which is not normally closely observable on working, floating vessels
- It often has an exciting or tragic history
- It presents new skill challenges for scuba divers
- It is part of the underwater cultural heritage and may be an important archaeological resource
- P It provides a first-hand insight into context for the loss, such as causal connections, geographical associations, trade patterns and many other areas, providing a microcosm of our maritime heritage and maritime history.